Decorating Above Kitchen Cabinets
Decorating Above Kitchen Cabinets:
It sounds simple, but it can be a daunting task. I have kitchen
cabinets that go up to the ceiling, but they do extend beyond the 8' ceiling
area into my "cathedral" ceiling area. This leaves me with about 30" of
space that I need to decorate above my frig cabinet. I also have a
completely open area above a large entertainment center in the living room that
Here are some tips and ideas that I've found useful
How you decorate above your kitchen cabinets depends on whether you have
soffits or not:
- Do your cabinets go all the way to the ceiling?
- Do you have soffits between your cabinets and ceiling?
- Is there open space between your cabinets and ceiling?
You don't want the area above your cabinets to look cluttered. Usually
less is more when it comes to decorating your kitchen.
IF YOUR CABINETS GO ALL THE WAY TO THE CEILING:
Use a nice crown molding, like pictured below (from my own kitchen). This eliminates any gaps
that will be between your cabinets and ceiling, making a nice transition.
It doesn't have to be a large molding either. Mine is a medium size crown
molding, approximately 2 1/4" high.
IF YOUR CABINETS HAVE A SOFFIT BETWEEN THEM AND THE CEILING:
- Again, make sure you use some type of molding between the cabinets and
soffit (if there is room, and there usually is, but it may not be much).
How much room there is depends on what type of molding you can apply.
Even if you can only add a 1/4" piece of trim, it will cover gaps, etc.
- You usually paint the underside of the soffit the same color as the
ceiling, and the flat part of the soffit the same color as the rest of your
- Try painting the soffit a contrasting (or complementary) color to the rest
of your kitchen. If you kitchen is yellow, paint the soffit blue (or
- Paint the soffit using a rag or sponge technique. This can be done
even if the rest of your kitchen isn't painted that way, adding a nice
- This is a bit spendy, but wrap your soffit in the wood of the cabinets
(see photo below). It can really add some class.